food.fashion.love.life.inspiration.





Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Lime-Herb Cod on Crispy Garlic Potatoes

After being married for three years things can fall into a bit of routine. Routines are not at all bad, but I do think they are something to regularly revisit and challenge. Having a normal and consistent schedule provides a sense of security no matter how much some people say they hate it.

We can base seasons of our life around routines (or lack thereof). In fact the "Oh my God, I'm married!" moment came for me when our new way of living life together became normal, and my daily chores were just part of a routine. I found joy in that realization and think it was one of the best moments of my life.

Something that's fallen into a somewhat boring routine over the last few years are my dinner choices. For fear of wasting time and money I tend to stick with what I know in the kitchen and don't experiment too much. It's so easy to mindlessly walk through the market picking up the same old ingredients every time, but that's something I've vowed to change.

This weekend when shopping the grocery store I decided to break from the regular and pick up some cod fillets without any idea what to do with them or even what they would taste like. When I returned home I did what I always do in these critical situations - asked Pinterest (aka, my best friend). I soon came across this recipe and with a few of my own modifications made a delicious plate of herbed cod on perfectly crispy and garlicy potatoes. This will definitely become a part of my new routine, but don't worry I'll continue to accept new challenges each time I visit the market.
Read on for the recipe...
Lime-Herb Cod Fillets on Crispy Garlic Potatoes
serves 2-4 
3 tablespoons olive oil4 medium-large red potatoes, sliced into 1/4 in rounds 3 cloves garlic, mincedHimalayan salt and fresh cracked pepper4 (6 oz) skinless cod fillets, 1-1 1/2 in. thick2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/4 in pieces4 sprigs fresh thyme (or 1 1/2 TBS dried Thyme Leaves)
1 lime (or lemon), sliced thin 


Instructions:
1. Heat oven to 425. Prep a large, shallow baking sheet with 1 TBS of the olive oil.
2. In a large bowl, toss potatoes with remaining 2 tablespoons oil and the minced garlic; season generously with salt and pepper. Lay the potatoes flat and slightly overlapping into 4 rectangular piles of 3 rows each, (about 4x6" squares). Gently push rows together so potatoes form cohesive pile. Roast potatoes until spotty brown and just tender - 30-35 minutes, rotating sheet halfway through roasting. 

3. Just before removing the potatoes from oven pat cod dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. 
4.Carefully place 1 cod fillet, skinned side down, on top of each potato pile. Top fish with butter pieces, thyme sprigs, and lime (or lemon) slices. Return to oven and bake about 15 minutes, until the fish flakes apart when prodded.



What routines are you planning to shake up? Let me know below ;)

xoxo,
Chloé.

1 comment:

  1. Ooo... This looks good! : ) Thanks for sharing.

    ~Sarah
    http://atowngirlslife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I would love to hear your thoughts, comments mean SO much to me...it's the only way I know you're reading!

xoxo
Chloe